I know I’m a bit late,and Ine, Bruno, Bart and … have already given their opinions, but I still needed an excuse to post some pictures of the event, so: last weekend I went to Pecha Kucha Brussels!
As everyone already mentioned, one presentation really jumped out: professor Jean Paul van Bendegem with his presentation “Wunderkammer”. It started with the painting “The origin of the world” by Gustave Courbet, which is essentially a frontal view of the crotch of a naked woman, which of course is a good way to catch the audience’s attention.
He then started free associating via freemasonry, over the Sherlock Holmes society, over women’s bottoms, the painting of the nude woman in court (I forget the details) and ended with the painting of a man’s crotch called “The origin of war”. There was no real message, but the voyage was vivid and entertaining.
Continue reading Pecha Kucha Brussels
One person dying per second, two being born. Not sure all the stats are accurate, but a fascinating view on the world’s day-to-day evolution.
Ok, she’s not Kate Moss, and he’s not Inspector Morse, but you get the general idea. If you father a child once you’re past 70 years old, the kid’s gonna have bags under the eyes.
made with www.faceresearch.org/demos/baby – via infosthetics.com
On a totally unrelated note: thanks for all the nice emails, SMSes, IM’s and other Facebook pokes I received for my 38th birthday. If I didn’t reply immediately: I had a wonderful weekend with the woman I love. I can only hope the rest of the year will continue on the same elan.
If you want to hear a lot of compliments about yourself that sound more-or-less correct, take the PersonalDNA test.
- You’re in touch with what is going on around you and adept at remaining down-to-earth and logical.
- Although you’re detail-oriented, this doesn’t mean that you lose the big picture.
- You tend to find beauty in form and efficiency, as opposed to finding it in broad-based, abstract concepts.
- Never one to pass on an adventure, you’re consistently seeking and finding new things, even in your immediate surroundings.
- Because of this eagerness to pursue new experiences, you’ve learned a lot; your attention to detail means that you gain a great deal from your adventures.
- The intellectual curiosity that drives you leads you to seek out causes of and reasons behind things.
- You don’t mind being in social situations, as you feel comfortable enough with people to be yourself.
- Your caring nature goes beyond a basic concern: you take the time to understand the nuances of people’s situations before passing any sort of judgment.
- You’re a good listener, and even better at offering advice.
- You’re concerned with others at both an individual and societal level—you sympathize with the plights of troubled groups, and you can care about people you’ve never met.
This is how women were advised to behave as a perfect spouse in 1955.
- Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it.
- Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first – remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.
- Don’t complain if he’s late for dinner or even if he stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone through at work.
- Don’t ask him questions about his actions or question his judgment or integrity. Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him.
- A good wife always knows her place.
Continue reading The Good Wife’s Guide
First I thought it was just another spam email, but it wasn’t. One of my Chinese subscribers sent me an message to warn me that some guy from Antwerp is using my picture on his profile for AsianEuro, a site where Asian and European singles hook up.
So this guy describes himself as ‘attractive’ but puts a photo of someone else on his profile? If anyone knows this 26y old single psychologist called ‘Tom’ who loves football and snowboard, star sign Libra, length 185cm, from Antwerp (how many can there be?) could they give me his coordinates? I’d like that picture removed before I end up with a Chinese stalker.