Popular Belgian blogs: top 25 v231 Jan 2005
The major differences from the first top 25 are:
- LONGER LIST: I took 100 blogs into account instead of 50 (e.g. I added sites like druppels.be)
- WEIGHTING: I weighted the results of the search engines, in order to give Google more weight than e.g. Teoma and Altavista. In the previous stats, I used the sum of all hits, now I use the weighted average (so the number is always lower). Altavista is very generous with its presumed #hits, but now only gets a 5% weight. Basically Google gets a 70% weight and the other 6 get 5%. Why? In most of the stats I see (mine, Blogium, LVB, …), search engine related traffic comes primarily from Google.
- VISITORS: the only way available to me now to estimate the # visitors is through the Alexa Rank (if available). Basically this is a number that tells the traffic ranking of a domain name within all domains on the internet. #1200 means: the 1200th most popular domain name. I did the following funky stuff with it to include it into the calculation: For the 52 blogs where Alexa information was available, if its rank was lower (i.e. better) than the average (about 890.000), I took a scaled log() of the rank that gives a result between 1 and 2: 1 if the Alexa rank is around average, and 2 for the best scoring site (coolios.net, rank #9214). I then multiply the weighted average of the #hits with this Alexa coefficient. In other words, through the Alexa numbers, a hit can count for anything between 1,00 and 1,99 “equivalent hits”. Alexa’s numbers are far from perfect, I know.
- METHOD: all these statistical formulas and the actual coefficients used have been decided by me. They are just A model, not THE model.
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics.
So here is the 2nd iteration of the top 25 Belgian blogs:
- www.coolios.net: 17808 equivalent hits
- veerle.duoh.com: 7707 equivalent hits
- demuynck.org: 6319 equivalent hits
- lvb.net: 5529 equivalent hits
- fuckhedz.com: 4623 equivalent hits
- www.zattevrienden.be: 4621 equivalent hits
- www.druppels.be: 4499 equivalent hits
- www.kapingamarangi.be: 4230 equivalent hits
- blog.zog.org: 4196 equivalent hits
- www.jahsonic.com: 3717 equivalent hits
- www.dominiek.be: 3674 equivalent hits
- www.polskaya.be: 3495 equivalent hits
- www.scene24.net: 3232 equivalent hits
- www.domilog.be: 2991 equivalent hits
- www.smintjes.be: 2646 equivalent hits
- www.ruudsdesign.com: 2261 equivalent hits
- www.internetjournalistiek.be: 2052 equivalent hits
- www.eug.be: 2043 equivalent hits
- pdw.blogspot.com: 2033 equivalent hits
- www.sepi.be: 1979 equivalent hits
- www.wilt.be: 1940 equivalent hits
- www.eskimokaka.be: 1577 equivalent hits
- mathibus.com: 1547 equivalent hits
- percept.be: 1515 equivalent hits
- huugendruug.blogspot.com: 1411 equivalent hits
What I would like to add, but this I would have to code myself then, is #hits in Technorati, Feedster and Bloglines.
Feedback is welcome on peter.forret _at_ gmail.com.