Posts with category: wifi
- iPhone bandwidth: orders of magnitude – 2009 • 17 Nov 2009
I did a bandwidth test the other day with the iPhone SpeedTest tool. I wanted to compare the speed using (standard) GPRS, using 3G and my own Wifi. The results were all a power of ten apart:
- Whisher: exchange passwords to share Wifi • 01 Jul 2007
There are different scenarios that enable people to share their Wifi. FON uses customer Wifi routers, Wifidog/OpenWRT uses custom server machines (PCs), and Whisher has a an interesting alternative: they aggregate Wifi passwords. You install an local application that you...
- Convergence of the iPod • 24 May 2006
Using an iPod to see how fast one is running:
- Double Wifi: municipal wifi with protection • 13 Apr 2006
I have written about FON before (they provide a business model for sharing one’s bandwidth through Wifi). They use a custom firmware for the Linksys WRT54G routers. I have the feeling that current Wifi routers (or access points) cannot offer...
- Google files patents for contextual wifi advertising • 28 Mar 2006
Google has filed and published the following patent applications:
- REQ: more “BEING SPACES” in Brussels • 15 Mar 2006
Anyone who often works at home is probably familiar with this: sometimes you would like to work somewhere else to finish something undisturbed, to see some people while you work instead of just the PC and the refrigerator, to have...
- Ancienne Belgique rocks • 28 Feb 2006
I’m in the restaurant of the Ancienne Belgique and it’s only a few steps away from heaven:
- Municipal WiFi: requirements for success • 01 Dec 2005
Municipal Wifi is gaining speed. Some of the efforts are institutional (Joy Ito joins the FON advisory board, networks are being installed in San Francisco and New Orleans) and some are grassroots (John is setting up a Wifi cloud in...
- Oakland installs free municipal Wifi • 03 Nov 2005
The goal of Wireless Oakland is to prepare Oakland County and its workforce for the jobs and technology of tomorrow. In conjunction with the Emerging Sectors Initiative, it will enhance Oakland County’s ability to attract and retain high-tech and nanotechnology...
- Open Wifi Hotspots in Brussels • 27 Oct 2005
This blog post is from 2005 – it’s here for historic reasons, but none of the original links still work.
- Public WiFi: the on-line consumer • 18 Oct 2005
People who know me, have heard me nag about open hotspot cafés in Brussels. My vision is that within 6 months, there should be a couple of dozen open Wi-Fi hotspots in Brussels so a guy with a laptop (like...