Posts with category: internet
- Wifi in my car: proof of concept • 19 Nov 2013
Some drivers love fancy chrome wheel rims, some add a huge wing spoiler on their car, or fuzzy dice hanging from their rear-view mirror. Me, when I bought my new car, I decided that I wanted a Wifi network in...
- Repairing Amazon S3 downloads for IE • 14 Jul 2011
I use Amazon S3 for cloud storage of big digital-cinema files (up to 3GB) for distribution. It works fine most of the time, but I kept getting the odd complaint: “I can’t download on my PC, I get an error”....
- DROA: now with a Belgian lawyer • 13 Nov 2010
It seems my contacts with the people from Domain Registry of America (DROA) have gone one legal step up. Last week I have received an official letter from a Brussels law office, representing the Domain Registry of America – DROA (Buffalo,...
- DROA: the saga continues • 22 Sep 2010
This post is about my dealing with the company DROA / Domain Registry of America. I first wrote about them in Dec 2004: “Domain Registry of America scam“: they had sent me letters to urgently advise me to renew my...
- Fax 2.0: because fax won’t die in the internet age • 02 Jan 2010
In one corner of my apartment: my fixed telephone line. In another my printer/scanner/fax device. Challenge: run a wire from one to the other, every time you rearrange the furniture.
- Facebook tricked me into my own spam FAIL • 09 Aug 2009
- Logitech online store: haunted • 18 Oct 2007
I have wanted to buy a keyboard with Bulgarian layout for a while, and as you can imagine, you don’t find these in the local FNAC or Vandenborre. So when I saw that the Logitech site allowed purchasing online, of...
- What American accent do you have? • 13 Jun 2007
- .eu domain speculation • 18 Jan 2007
When the .eu domains became available to the general public, I decided I did not want forret.eu. That means that the domain was available to be grabbed by someone else, and indeed it has been. I received the following email...
- Our customers are the perverts, not us • 30 Oct 2006
In the newspaper De Morgen this weekend, there was a full page article about a successful Belgian internet entrepreneur: Cain Ransbottyn.
- Bouncing email • 14 May 2006
If you have sent me an email in the last two days, you will likely have gotten a bounce like “Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender“. Please resend your message because your mail server is indeed right: my email addresses @forret.com...
- Bluehost vs Dreamhost • 14 Apr 2006
As you might have read in my Migrating to WordPress article, I am now the proud owner of both a Bluehost and Dreamhost account. These two shared hosting providers have similar strong offerings for a similar low price, but they’re...
- IVI: Internet voor Iedereen • 12 Apr 2006
If your (Belgian) parents or grand-parents want to buy a cheap PC to get started on the Web, tell them to hold back for a couple more days. The Federal Government – through FEDICT – has set up a program...
- Barcamp Brussels: May 2006 • 19 Mar 2006
Last year we organised a fairly successfull blogger’s dinner in Brussels, and now we’re gonna try something different:
next May we will have a Barcamp Brussels event.
- Saving the Net (Doc Searls) • 07 Mar 2006
In November last year, Doc Searls published a lengthy article in LinuxJournal: “Saving the Net: How to Keep the Carriers from Flushing the Net Down the Tubes“. It is an essential piece of reading.
- Broadband in Brussels • 17 Feb 2006
(post seems to have disappeared when I migrated to WordPress I have what is proving to be an expensive habit: I’m subscribed to over 30 podcasts (including e.g. Diggnation at 300MB/week), I regularly download software to try out, I use...
- RSS is a hammer • 27 Sep 2005
We’re all excited by the promises of Web 2.0, we’re all awaiting the next really neat remix application/service of data, meta-data, analysis and presentation. But let’s not fall for the “I have a hammer, so all problems look like a...
- De Standaard: down by popular demand • 15 Sep 2005
- Flickr changes image URLs with some glitches • 02 Sep 2005
Old URL: photos23.flickr.com
New URL: static.flickr.com/23
- Internet activity in the EU • 16 Jun 2005
- Dizitainment: creative Koreans • 19 Aug 2004
Dizitainment, some guys from Seoel (South-Korea), make impressive Flash video clips for other people’s music. They even quote ‘serious art’ in them. Recognize Edvard Munch in the picture? Some of the video’s are: Basement Jaxx – Red Alert, Carl Douglas...
- pyPersoMail updated to v0.2 • 11 Mar 2004
I actually use the script to send our customer mailings, so now it works ;-).