Posts with category: google
- Google Docs’ infamous “Moved Temporarily” error – fixed! • 14 Jul 2011
I store quite a lot of info in Google Spreadsheets, for the obvious reasons:
- How to delete old data in Google Calendar • 07 Jan 2011
I use Google Calendar as a vital piece of milonga.be: me and some 20 other editors keep an up-to-date calendar of tango events in Belgium. We’ve been doing that for the last 3 years, so there was a lot of...
- Newscorp is indeed dropping out of Google • 01 Dec 2009
The big disappearing act
- Facebook tricked me into my own spam FAIL • 09 Aug 2009
- CalendarBurner: Feedburner for iCal calendars • 28 Oct 2008
I am currently using my experience with milonga.be to build a similar site for Tango in Bulgaria. One of the major components of the site is the tango calendar. In this case I have chosen not to use a special...
- MIVB en Google Transit • 06 Dec 2007
Wouldn’t this be a great idea: the Brussels public transport not mapped by MIVB‘s horribly unpractical route planner, but by Google’s Transit maps. You just need to get an export of the stops, the routes and the times, and they...
- What Google Agenda currently misses • 22 Aug 2007
I am using Google Agenda as the central repository for the milonga.be Belgian tango agenda, which I edit together with half a dozen other tango enthusiasts. While the principle of a central, hosted calendar storage works wonderfully, I (have to) use...
- Web tool: visualize on Google Maps • 05 Jul 2007
I have been working a bit on Google Maps visualisations for my milonga.be tango site, to show an overview of all Belgian tango sites. I did it the following way:
- New beta YouTube layout • 14 Jun 2007
This is what a YouTube clip page looks like now:
- Creating a tango calendar • 25 Apr 2007
Resurrection of milonga.be
- Twitter: watch your mouth • 12 Apr 2007
Whether Twitter will turn out to be a conversational revolution or a giant waste of time, I’m still not sure about. Sometimes it feels like instant messaging (chatting *with* someone), sometimes like just changing the subtitle of your MSN/Gtalk (just...
- Gmail will disappear • 21 Mar 2007
UPDATE: it appears that I got the new “Google Mail” logo because for some reasons Google maps my IP address to Germany, and so I got the German branding. I still think it would make sense for them to switch...
- My own Pagerank inventory • 19 Jan 2007
When I search for Roos Van Acker (in the Google sense of searching), I have 2 sites that show up in the top results: a blog post of mine and the Flickr picture you see at the right. My blog...
- Yahoo should sell Flickr to Google • 21 Nov 2006
- Import Excel into Google Spreadsheets • 03 Nov 2006
This is the first time I noticed this: an email in my Gmail with Excel attachments offers me the option to view the document in Google Spreadsheets.
- Helping Martin Luther King, Jr. a hand • 02 Oct 2006
- Intrusive Google ads on Sourceforge • 01 Sep 2006
Come on, I can understand Sourceforge needs the Adsense revenue, but this is going too far. A huge 450 x 400 blue advertisement is blocking access to most download links on a Sourceforge download page, and there is no way...
- Five SEO Excuses • 29 Aug 2006
Russell Jones, CTO of SEO firm Virante, has found an original way of showing off his SEO skills: he created a top 5 of SEO excuses, and made sure they listed #1 to #5 for the Google query “five seo...
- Brussels Tango on Google Calendar • 21 Aug 2006
I’ve started a public Google calendar for tango events (milonga’s, salons) in and around Brussels. My preferred site, milonga.be has gone down, the agenda at tango.be is quite ugly (it uses frames *shiver* ), and Marisa & Oliver’s agenda cannot...
- “Interestingness” for Google web search • 17 Aug 2006
- Trackback wizard for Blogger users • 30 Jun 2006
Trackbacks are a good way to alert other bloggers that you citing them on your blog. It also helps to drive traffic to your own site (if your comment was insightful or tempting). Unfortunately, some blog hosts like Blogger, Skynetblogs...
- Google Site Search in Blogger • 28 Jun 2006
Just so I don’t forget, this is how to put a Google Site Search (search within your domain) in your Blogger template:
- Google and Perfect10: DMCA at its best • 24 Jun 2006
While searching for something really innocent on Google (honestly!), I got the following warning:
- Lies, damned lies and Google trends • 16 May 2006
Yesterday I was browsing through my freshly arrived Tufte book “The visual display of quantitative information“. One example of “garbage in, garbage out” that he gives is the London Stock Exchange index (which went way down one year in Dec)...
- Adsense: The long tail of spare change • 26 Apr 2006
- Adsense also looks at search terms • 06 Apr 2006
I had been wondering just how much information Google Adsense uses to select the right contextual ads. Specifically, do they use the referring page also. I just got part of the answer:
- Google moving into Interactive TV • 30 Mar 2006
Google is looking for a “Product Manager – Interactive TV”:
- Google files patents for contextual wifi advertising • 28 Mar 2006
Google has filed and published the following patent applications:
- Blogger snafu: emergency migration to WordPress • 09 Mar 2006
One of the reasons why I have been posting less the last couple of days, is because I was working on a migration from Blogger to WordPress. I was still working out some DNS stuff (don’t let me get into...
- Google buys Writely • 09 Mar 2006
Google has just confirmed to have bought Upstartle, the creators of Writely (Writely Blog/GoogleBlog via Om Malik). Apart from being good news for the founders of Upstartle, this also indicates Google’s determination to make the fat client history and allow...
- Recent posts + comments in Blogger • 19 Jan 2006
One of the disadvantages of using Blogger is that by default, you don’t have categories and recent comments on your blog. There is a trick to put recent comments on this Blogger help page. It involves introducing a new <Blogger>...
- Migrating from blogspot to a ‘real’ blog • 23 Dec 2005
I have often said that Blogger is one of the easiest ways to get started for free with a blog. Even if you don’t have an own domain name, you can start with a xyz.blogspot.com. However, there might come a...
- Google introduces music search • 15 Dec 2005
When a user enters a music-related search in Google search box, the resulting search returns information about the artist, a few albums and a picture, when available, above the standard search results.
- Google experiments with inline revisions • 15 Dec 2005
I don’t recall having seen this before: within the SERP (Search Engine Result Page) of a keyword X, Google puts the top 3 results for a keyword Y.
The exact details:
- Google Toppers: pick your title carefully • 24 Nov 2005
Everyone with a bit of SEO (Search Engine Optimalisation) experience knows that the title of your HTML pages is crucial. But just how strong is that tiny part of your HTML? When I noticed I had become #1 for the...
- Google: turning cash into cache • 18 Nov 2005
- Folksonomy and google bombs • 09 Nov 2005
Folksonomy or social tagging
- Google’s 7th birthday • 27 Sep 2005
- Pareto doesn’t do search • 11 Sep 2005
I’m gonna talk about a post that is 6 months old, I know, but I recently re-read it and wanted to link it to Technorati’s recent traffic troubles. Joe Kraus from JotSpot (and previously Excite) wrote an excellent article called...
- Flickr/Yahoo experimenting with new ad format • 28 Aug 2005
Flickr has been placing contextual advertising on their “tag” search pages (example: the “brussels” tag) for a while. They seemed to use a mixture of Google Adsense and Yahoo Publisher text-based ads. For people who are not that familiar with...
- Google Desktop: buggy stuff • 28 Aug 2005
I regret having installed the Google Desktop Beta. I thought they would have ironed the biggest bugs, but my first experience is not reassuring.
- New Google hack: Pixagogo Maps • 15 Aug 2005
- Google and social software: wiki’s • 24 Jun 2005
Moving my tango site I am currently considering converting tango.forret.com into a wiki-style site. It is a hobby site with tango steps, tango terms (glossary) and other tango-related stuff. I have by now developed some wiki-like functions in ASP, and...
- Googlistics: messing with the big “G” • 05 Apr 2005
He probably also first thought it was an April’s Fool joke: Matt Mullenweg from WordPress was discovered to have used his PageRank 8 site (WordPress is a popular open-source blogging software) for hosting lots of irrelevant content, with the purpose...
- Getting a high Google rank: Pixagogo public gallery • 06 Jan 2005
While we were creating the Pixagogo site, we paid a lot of attention to optimal and correct search engine tuning. More specifically, Bart “SEO man” Anrijs read most documents available on the subject and handcarved the HTML until it was...
- Setting up a new Blogger site • 07 Dec 2004
So you want to blog? Blogger is by far the fastest and cheapest way to go. Here’s how to set up a full-fledged new blog in 10 steps (for a step-by-step tutorial with screenshots on how to do the basics,...
- Google is listening: searching audio • 04 Oct 2004
There are rumours that Google would be rolling out search functionality for audio files. It is true that currently no sound files (.wav, .mp3, .wma, .mov, .ogg, …) files can be found by Google’s “normal search”, except for the odd...
- Google’s unified log-in (Gmail/GoogleGroups2) • 19 Jul 2004
I just upgraded from Mozilla FireFox 0.8 to 0.9.2, for no other reason than because it was available. A sudden side-effect was that I could not login to Gmail anymore: I got an error 502. It still worked in IE,...
- Anil Dash shakes up the SEO Challenge • 08 Jun 2004
Wow, this is a nice surprise. Anil Dash, from Six Apart/Movable Type/TypePad, decides to enter the SEO Challenge 3 days before the first milestone, and with a little help from whole bunch of bloggers jumps to position 1 just a...
- SEO Challenge Winner #1 is decided • 07 Jun 2004
The 1st winner of the SEO Challenge (2nd winner is decided on July 7th) is forums.merkey.net, with their mangled forum. Can’t say I’m too happy with that, they used a bunch of dirty tricks to get there (wiki spamming, gibberish...
- Google & Yahoo results for Nigritude Ultramarine • 27 May 2004
Check out on my StereoSearch page how the search results for nigritude ultramarine compare for Google and Yahoo (or 7 other search engines).