Posts with category: belgium
- Help de horeca: unlockdown.be • 23 Oct 2020
België gaat door zijn tweede lockdown voor het ogenblik. Alle cafés en restaurants zijn gesloten, het enige wat de horeca nog kan doen om de kost te verdienen is afhaal en levering van maaltijden. Voor sommigen is dit de eerste...
- The sorry state of keyboard layout management • 15 Feb 2018
How is it possible that today, in 2018, it is still up to the end-user to detect/guess what the layout of the computer keyboard is he has in front of him/her? In any Belgian office with more than 10 computers,...
- Status page for telecom/internet providers • 11 Sep 2013
My mobile provider Telenet had a partial outage today. Sometimes calls would go though, sometimes not. Same things with SMS and 3G. I wanted to check if there was a page I could check to see if it was just...
- Company cars in Belgium: your new taxes • 03 Apr 2012
January 2012 marks the beginning of a new calculation of the ‘Benefit in kind’ - the value an employee is calculated to get from a company car. It has a big effect on your taxes. Do you pay taxes in...
- “I will you in the night” – Idool 2003 • 28 Jan 2010
At the Pixagogo reunion dinner the other evening, I was reminded by one of my ex-colleagues Steven (‘Beukie‘) that back in 2003 I was having some fun with remixes/mashups. More specifically, I took some vocals of the Belgian “Idool 2003”...
- Krantenkoppen op popnuuz.com • 11 May 2009
Een tijdje geleden merkte ik dat krantenkoppen.be verdwenen was. Ik gebruikte die site regelmatig om een overzicht te krijgen van wat er in de kranten beweegde bewoog die dag, “wat ik gelezen zou moeten hebben”. Na enkele weken dacht ik:...
- Procreate to win a car • 04 Jun 2008
I’m getting old, I guess. This ad campaign annoys me. For those who don’t understand Dutch: if you take a Dodge Journey for a test-drive on the Father’s Day weekend, and make a baby on the back seat, then you...
- TVH likes women • 13 May 2008
I was born near Roeselare, in West-Vlaanderen, and every now and then I go back to my roots. I drive over Gent and Kortrijk and on the way I’m always curious to see what kind of advertising the guys from...
- Brudio Stussel : Studio Brussel vs Tien om te Zien • 05 Mar 2008
Studio Brussel wordt 25 jaar en viert dat met een week ‘alles op zijn kop’. Ze lanceren “Brudio Stussel” van 25 maart tot 1 april met een geweldige campagne van de Mortierbrigade. Bruno Vanden Broecke speelt een Tien-om-te-zien producer die...
- Dag van de download • 18 Dec 2007
- Number 24, score 17 • 26 Nov 2007
- Barcamp Brussels #4: 10 days to go • 22 Nov 2007
- Announced: Barcamp Brussels #4 • 15 Oct 2007
It’s almost been 6 months, so here we go for the 4th time: I’m starting the preparations for Barcamp Brussels #4.
- My first picture in the papers • 23 Aug 2007
An Baccaert wrote an article in De Morgen about Nathalie and Andrés, who are representing the Benelux in the ‘Mundial de Tango‘ in Buenos Aires. She wanted a nice picture to include with the article and came across one I made...
- Bwards: URL overload • 24 Mar 2007
Too many URLs I’d list everyone I’ve talked to yesterday, if only I could remember. Some random memories: Dramoghe is a girl, Hendrik has a beard, Sven has a nice blogless girlfriend (enchanté!), LittleQ is about my size without her...
- Tonight: Bwards in Antwerp • 23 Mar 2007
It’s gonna take me some effort to arrive there in time, but tonight is the Bwards event in Antwerp, and I’m looking forward to it! It looks like Jeroen has created a fun party for those of us with a...
- The Top 20 bloggers in Flanders • 16 Mar 2007
Bloggers love lists. Bloggers adore lists of bloggers, certainly when they’re featured in the said lists. I started making top 30 and 60 lists of Belgian bloggers a way back, and somewhere in Nov 2005 Bruno took over the position...
- Countdown to no smoking • 20 Dec 2006
Just in case you forgot: less than a dozen days to go before the smoking ban in Belgian restaurants. What was only possible in places like the AB resto or Bar Bik, will then be the norm: no one spoiling...
- Thalys to Amsterdam is way too slow • 19 Nov 2006
In 1987 it was decided that a high-speed train connection between Brussels, Paris, Amsterdam and Köln would be built. Ten years later, the Thalys train already achieves a travel time of 1h25 to Paris (over 200km/h). So the Thalys is...
- Thank you for smoking • 02 Nov 2006
Henny Heyndrickx, the boss of Tabaknatie, is very worried about the ruthless discrimination of smokers in Belgium. With the ban on smoking in restaurants coming into effect in less than 60 days, he wants to set up a list of...
- Being multilingual in Belgium • 05 Oct 2006
Who doesn’t like a good controversy? The Belgian government statistics site has just released a study on language knowledge in Belgium. This study has numbers for Brussels, Flanders and Wallonia separately. Let’s take a look:
- West-vlamingen die tellen • 20 Sep 2006
(post in Dutch)
- No more smoking in restaurants • 28 Aug 2006
( picture is mashup from HelpEenRoker campaign )
- Barcamp Brussels #2: on Sunday Sept 24th • 27 Jul 2006
- Brussels’ traffic is kinda safe • 12 Jul 2006
Imagine my amazement: when processing the numbers from the Belgian traffic accidents in 2005 (statbel), Brussels turns out to be a lot safer than one would suspect. Or let’s just say: there’s worse:
- Lobster and Vista on a Mac • 29 Jun 2006
To say we were well received at the Microsoft Blogger’s Event yesterday would be an understatement. We were extremely well received. The occasion was: showing the progress of Windows Vista Beta 2 and Office System 2007 Beta 2 and networking...
- First RubyOnRails seminar @ I.T.Works • 21 Jun 2006
I.T.Works, one of Belgiums leading technical training organisers, has cooked up its first RubyOnRails seminar on Thursday July 6th. Alain Ravet and Werner Ramaekers, both experienced Rails developers, will talk about the advantages of this application development framework.
- Estimating real-time traffic speed • 07 Jun 2006
— This is a post from 2006. Back then, there was no Google Maps, no Waze, no iPhone, no mobile data —
- Barcamp Brussels: when the day is done • 23 May 2006
And what a day it was! It went by in a rush, without any major mishaps and with lots of smiling people all around. Me, I just ran around on adrenaline and cafeine (probably equal parts), while catching only the...
- Barcamp Brussels: getting there • 19 May 2006
Less than 24 hours to go and 55 people registered!
Some last instructions on how to get to the International Press Center (near Wetstraat/Rue de la Loi):
- Barcamp Brussels: get ready! • 16 May 2006
Those of you that will join us on Barcamp Brussels, these is what you need to do to prepare yourselves:
- Barcamp Brussels: 10 days to go! • 09 May 2006
Saturday 20 May
- Database war stories: DB vs ‘square’ files • 05 May 2006
I’ve been following the Database War Stories of O’Reilly Radar: how companies use text-based alternatives to classic relational database systems in order to cope with huge volumes. Check out the stories of Findory/Amazon, Google File System, Flickr and Second Life....
- Play us a slow song • 03 May 2006
I remember when I started DJ’ing and going to parties (that would be the previous century, yes) that we used to have this whole ‘slow-dancing’ routine. Every couple of hours the DJ would play ‘La Bamba‘, sweaty teenagers would check...
- Emma, Marie and Julie • 25 Apr 2006
I found some data on the first names parents gave their children in 2004 (data from statbel.fgov.be). It should come as no surprise that passe-partout names (used in both Dutch and French) dominate the first names hitparade.
- Barcamp Brussels: less than a month to go • 24 Apr 2006
Some more details on the Barcamp event of May 20th:
- Blogcom Antwerp – pings and comments • 22 Apr 2006
Blogcom in Antwerp was exactly what I had hoped it would be: an interesting mix of old acquaintances and new faces and lots of fun conversations. The event was organised by Jeroen and some 50 bloggers showed up. No speeches,...
- Pleasure from da bass – memorable bass lines • 19 Apr 2006
Went to a DJ-set (Peaches @ Mirano/Dirty Dancing) yesterday and was not too impressed with the DJ skills of Peaches. Yes, she knew what kind of hard pumping electro the audience wanted to hear, but she couldn’t beatmix if her...
- IVI: Internet voor Iedereen • 12 Apr 2006
If your (Belgian) parents or grand-parents want to buy a cheap PC to get started on the Web, tell them to hold back for a couple more days. The Federal Government – through FEDICT – has set up a program...
- Nokia N91 – first impressions • 12 Apr 2006
SWITCHING PHONES Back in the old days, switching your mobile phone was easier: you just popped your SIM card out of the old one and threw it into the new one. That only works if your telephone numbers are actually...
- Nokia N91: return of the Fin • 08 Apr 2006
I complained back in 2004 that Nokia didn’t have any model that pleased me. I had used 5 Nokia mobile phones at that point, wanted to buy a new one and did’t find anything suitable. Some months later I bought...
- Barcamp Brussels: May 20 2006 • 04 Apr 2006
So there it is: after some feedback on my Barcamp announcement post, we fixed the date and location for Barcamp Brussels!
- Parelvissers: de laatste aflevering • 02 Apr 2006
Binnen enkele uren: de laatste aflevering
- Big Brother and the Pfaffs: the end of reality TV, please • 27 Mar 2006
Yesterday, while waiting for the Parelvissers to start on één, my zapping pattern made me stumble upon
- Parelvissers aflevering 5 komt er aan • 23 Mar 2006
De omerta tussen Guido, Dick en Xavier staat op springen, lijkt het. En is Lucas niet met Piet zijn voeten aan het rammelen. Als er maar niks gebeurt met ons Anneke (de promiscue trees). Kijken nu zondag!
- Barcamp Brussels: May 2006 • 19 Mar 2006
Last year we organised a fairly successfull blogger’s dinner in Brussels, and now we’re gonna try something different:
next May we will have a Barcamp Brussels event.
- Guys and head bands • 17 Mar 2006
Small rant ahead:
- Parelvissers aflevering 4 komt uit de kast • 17 Mar 2006
- REQ: more “BEING SPACES” in Brussels • 15 Mar 2006
Anyone who often works at home is probably familiar with this: sometimes you would like to work somewhere else to finish something undisturbed, to see some people while you work instead of just the PC and the refrigerator, to have...
- Parelvissers aflevering 3 komt er aan • 10 Mar 2006
(trailer aflevering 3)
- Lalalover: troubles and fights • 28 Feb 2006
It’s been a while since I was really pleasantly surprised by a new Belgian group (Moiano comes to mind) but it just happened again. I was humming along to the little pearl “Troubles and Fights” by Lalalover – “Wow, who’s...
- Parelvissers: back to front • 28 Feb 2006
(Post in Dutch)
- Parelvissers geheugensteuntje • 27 Feb 2006
(post in Dutch)
- Broadband in Brussels • 17 Feb 2006
(post seems to have disappeared when I migrated to WordPress I have what is proving to be an expensive habit: I’m subscribed to over 30 podcasts (including e.g. Diggnation at 300MB/week), I regularly download software to try out, I use...
- Magnus: Jumpneedle drummers • 07 Jan 2006
I was checking out the Deus website to see if their new video for the Pocket Revolution album was already online (a friend of mine, Sachli, is playing in it with four other cute girls). There was a link to...
- Add yourself to the Belgian Bloggers map! • 15 Nov 2005
(Post in Dutch)
Een leuk initiatief van Gaetano Palermo: een kaart waar elke Belgische blogger zijn coordinaten kan op mappen. Misschien een leuke vervanging van de kaart op blogium.be.
- Wealthy Belgian Bloggers v3 • 11 Nov 2005
Here we go again with another update:
- Invest in Belgium • 07 Nov 2005
Invest in Belgium
- Wealthy Belgian Bloggers v2.0 • 31 Oct 2005
Some prior remarks:
- Wealthy Belgian Bloggers: the blog dollars top 60 • 23 Oct 2005
Since I’ve been told my “Popular Belgian Blogs” series (Jan-Feb 2005) was very much appreciated, I’ve just spent some time coming up with a new version. The main reason being: thanks to Dane Carlson’s Blog Value Estimator it is now...
- ABVV – the nuance between a strike and hostage stituation • 09 Oct 2005
- Blogging, it’s all about conversations • 27 Sep 2005
- Brussels Bloggers Meeting on Oct 7 • 19 Sep 2005
(NL versie hieronder – version FR ci-dessous)
- De Standaard: down by popular demand • 15 Sep 2005
- Mini-backstage @ Pukkelpop • 17 Aug 2005
I’m gonna be responsible for managing a mini-backstage at the Pukkelpop festival this Thursday, Friday, Saturday. Mini-backstage means: the small hide-out right next to the more distant stages, where artists take their preparatory beers and coffees right before they perform....
- Internet activity in the EU • 16 Jun 2005
- Blogging about bloggers blogging • 21 Feb 2005
I will not be posting an update for the Belgian Popular Blogs today because I haven’t had the time yet to add Technorati/PubSub scores. Since I expect this will shake up the listing significantly, I want to do it right....
- Domain names in Flanders and Wallonie: the digital divide • 18 Feb 2005
DNS.be, the Belgian non-profit organisation that manages the .be domain, has published new statistics on domain name distribution in Belgium. They added geographical statistics for e.g. the domain names per inhabitant in 2004. Some numbers:
- Popular Belgian Blogs: version 4 • 14 Feb 2005
Valentine or not, here are the numbers of the Belgian Jury.
- Popular Belgian Blogs: version 3 • 07 Feb 2005
- Popular Belgian blogs: top 25 v2 • 31 Jan 2005
The major differences from the first top 25 are:
- Popular Belgian blogs: the preliminary top 25 • 24 Jan 2005
Luc Van Braekel has developed a service called Blogium.be, to find new emerging ‘hot’ links on the front pages of Belgian blogs. His start database is obviously a big list of URLs of Belgian bloggers. I think that a good...
- Geek dinner in Gent : the pictures • 20 Jan 2005
- Geek dinner in Gent op 19 januari • 08 Jan 2005
(Post in Dutch) Enkele bloggers organiseren op 19 januari een geek dinner in Gent. Op een geek dinner komen mensen samen die gepassioneerd zijn door technologische nieuwigheden. Op het geek dinner verwachten we iedereen die met andere geeks wil praten...
- Wired Magazine in Belgium: expensive habit • 05 Jan 2005
In this geeky world I’m in, there are few magazines as spot-on and influential as Wired Magazine. It’s one of the magazines I keep around for years after publication.
- Mappy has aerial photo overlay • 09 Nov 2004
They might already have it for a while, but I hadn’t noticed: Mappy.com can add an aerial picture of the neighbourhood you are searching. The street map is then overlayed on the aerial picture and you have a slider to...
- Skeemz on Brussels Jazz Marathon • 16 May 2004
Brussels in the sun, what a pleasure. Some glasses of white wine, listening to music on a ‘terraske’ with some friends, yesterday was really a nice day. Certainly with the pleasant contribution of Skeemz, a Ghent-based band that played funky...